Today's cars, light trucks, and sport-utility vehicles are high-tech marvels with digital dashboards, oxygen sensors, electronic computers, unibody construction, and more. They run better, longer, and more efficiently than models of years past.
But when it comes to repairs, some things stay the same. The following tips should help you along the way:
Do your homework before taking your vehicle in for repairs or service.
- Read the owner's manual to learn about the vehicle's systems and components.
- Follow the recommended service schedules.
- Keep a log of all repairs and service.
When you think about it, you know your car better than anyone else. You drive it every day and know how it feels and sounds when everything is right. So don't ignore its warning signals.
Use all of your senses to inspect your car frequently. Check for:
- Unusual sounds, odors, drips, leaks, smoke, warning lights, gauge readings.
- Changes in acceleration, engine performance, gas mileage, fluid levels.
- Worn tires, belts, hoses.
- Problems in handling, braking, steering, vibrations.
- Note when the problem occurs.
- Is it constant or periodic?
- When the vehicle is cold or after the engine has warmed up?
- At all speeds? Only under acceleration? During braking? When shifting?
- When did the problem first start?
Once you are at our location, communicate your findings.
- Be prepared to describe the symptoms.
- Carry a written list of the symptoms that you can give us.
- Resist the temptation to suggest a specific course of repair. Just as you would with your physician, tell us where it hurts and how long it's been that way, but let the technician diagnose and recommend a remedy.
Stay involved. . . Ask questions.
- Ask as many questions as needed to fully understand your repair. Ask for laymen terms if needed.
- Don't rush the technician to make an on-the-spot diagnosis. You may ask to be called and apprised of the problem, course of action, and costs before work begins.
- Before you leave, be sure you understand all shop policies regarding labor rates, guarantees, and acceptable methods of payment.
- Leave a telephone number where you can be called.
What our clients are saying about us
We have established longterm and stable partnerships with various clients thanks to our excellence in solving their automotive needs!
I've worked on my vehicles my whole life if I didn't know how to do it, I'd learn....simply because I didn't trust auto mechanic shops. So it wasn't easy taking my truck into a shop. Sometimes you just have to because you can't figure out what the dang issue is. I found Gary's while researching, the shop had great reviews and it was super close too... so I gave them a shot. Stopped by the shop and found a welcoming, friendly place with a beautiful Aussie Sheppard laying at the counter like a furry greeter (a real Ma and Pa shop). Gary found it to be my PCM....he took care of the issue and went above and beyond regarding customer service, he even assisted with me getting my truck back while my wife was at work. My truck runs better than ever and I will not hesitate bringing any of my vehicles to this shop in the future. The worlds been an ugly divisive place recently and to experience this kind of old school friendly service meant a lot! Thanks Team Gary's shop!
Gary and his crew are true pros but also stand-up human beings. I brought in my car unsure of what was wrong with it but sure I couldn't drop a ton of money on it. Gary called me during multiple steps of fixing my car to make sure the work they were going to do was okay with me! Made me feel very comfortable and not surprised when I finally got to see the total price. The work they did was excellent, quickly done, and they even compiled a list of things to watch out for and timelines for future work to be done. Also they have shop dogs. Have recommended this place to my significant other and some friends as well!